The Office of Detention Ministry of the Archdiocese of Miami is committed to fostering a culture of support and rehabilitation within our communities. As part of this commitment, we offer comprehensive orientation and training programs designed explicitly for commissioned lay ministers, parish groups, lay ecclesial movements, lay associations, and deacons. These programs prepare our volunteers to engage in Detention Ministry, providing spiritual and emotional support to individuals in correctional facilities across Broward, Miami-Dade, and Monroe Counties. Our mission is to bridge the gap between the church and correctional institution, ensuring incarcerated people receive the guidance and care they need to embark on personal transformation and spiritual renewal.
The following guidance outlines the steps required to become a Detention Ministry Volunteer:
FOR NEW VOLUNTEERS:
• Complete the Volunteer Personal Information Form (VPI) on the volunteering page (scroll down).
• Obtain a Pastoral Reference Letter Form (PRL) from the same page (scroll down).
• Undergo a background check every five years, contacting Myriam Leinweber: Office (305) 762-1057 Email: email@example.com
• Participate in the "VIRTUS: Protecting God's Children" Workshop and stay informed through monthly newsletters. Contact Jan Rayburn: 305-762-1250 Email: JRayburn@theadom.org.
• Email all required documents to Deacon Edgardo Farias, the Detention Ministry's Director: Office (305) 764-5019 firstname.lastname@example.org
• Register for the 3-hour onsite orientation for new volunteers.https://detentionministry.org/servicing
• After completing the first two steps, the Office of the Ministry of Detention will provide you with a one-year ministerial endorsement letter. This letter signifies your availability to serve for one year. However, to continue receiving the ministerial endorsement during your service, you must enroll in our flagship training program: "Compassionate Service Behind Bars: A 5-Week Intensive Program on Prison Pastoral Care." You will receive a Certificate of Completion of Basic Training from the Detention Ministry Office upon completing this training. This certificate will serve as an encouragement for your ongoing development and engagement in this essential ministry.https://detentionministry.org/servicing
• Attend the correctional institution's training session and submit the ministerial endorsement letter to the correctional authority.
2024 IMPORTANT NOTICE FOR NEW AND ENDORSED VOLUNTEERS
Whether you can commit regularly or only participate occasionally, please register online for our flagship training program: "Compassionate Service Behind Bars: A 5-Week Intensive Program on Prison Pastoral Care."
This program, designed to equip you with the skills and knowledge needed for effective pastoral care within detention facilities, consists of 2-hour sessions held every Wednesday at 8 PM. Upon completion, you will be awarded a Certificate of Completion of Basic Training by the Detention Ministry Office, marking the start of your journey in significantly impacting the lives of those behind bars. https://detentionministry.org/servicing
1. The Certificate of Completion of Basic Training by the Detention Ministry Office is available exclusively twice annually, once in the spring and once in the fall, with no exceptions. You must enroll in the fall session if you cannot attend a Wednesday session during the spring offering. This will allow you to make up for the Wednesday session missed in the spring.
2. 2-hour Refresher Training will be available online in 2025 for all volunteers. Refresher training for prison volunteers ensures their contributions are valuable, safe, and aligned with current best practices. https://detentionministry.org/servicing